<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 11, 2003

sacre-bleu 


Steven Denbeste has a quite lengthy account of the effect anti-americanism has had on french tourism.

Having spent a few days in Paris back in June I have to say that Steve's article sort of rang true with me. While I never felt in any particular peril, only one time was I ever singled out as an American, and that was by a street vendor trying to sell me trash, Paris never felt like a particular warm or inviting place. No one in a restaurant ever smiled, and I had a really unpleasant experience with a lady at a city zoo who really didn't want to accept my 20 Euro bill for admission (smaller bills seem to be quite rare in Euro countries, she gave me what amounted to a wealth of change in 0.20 Euro coins). Let's not even talk about the cafe I ate dinner one night that wanted 9 Euro for a milkshake.

For my money London was a far better place to visit. I hope my fellow countrymen take their vacation money to the UK to thank Tony Blair for his support.

(Link via Viking Pundit)
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?