<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 19, 2003

when worlds collide 


The Washington Post has a griping essay on one woman's struggle with the concept of arranged marriage:
Now, almost everyone I know -- friends, teachers, co-workers -- expects me, as a child of the West, to reject the notion of arranged marriage, to proclaim my independence loudly. Sometimes, I still expect that, too. But as a young Muslim woman, I also expect myself to accept the obligations I have as my parents' daughter -- regardless of the emotional cost to me.

Pakistani culture and Islam beckon me with security, familiarity and ease. By agreeing to an arranged marriage, I could more easily satisfy my religious obligation to abstain from intimacy with the opposite sex until marriage -- not an easy feat, may I say. I would be participating in the ceremony of a culture 11,000 miles removed, a ceremony I've witnessed only twice. By doing so, I could spare my parents the stinging criticism they would face if their daughter chose her own path: barbs from three generations of extended family, all of whom accepted their own arranged marriages without argument -- and some of whom complain about them to this day.

The whole article is a really well presented description of the difficulties of being the generational gap in a new society. If you've ever known anyone who was first generation from a very traditional society the whole article is well worth reading. Their struggles are almost incomprehensible.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?