<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, September 30, 2003

the CIA leak 


Cliff May calls into question the likely motivations of Robert Novak's informant:
Everyone seems to accept that if the White House leaked the name and occupation of Joe Wilson's wife it was done to "smear" him. But how does that information smear Wilson?

When I learned that his wife worked for the CIA, it caused me to think better about him. In fact, one friend, a Democrat, cited his wife's occupation to me to suggest that Wilson was not as rabid a partisan as I believed (and as I had alleged in NRO).

The alternative explanation that Wilson has suggested: That his wife's name was leaked to "intimidate" him. What does that mean? That the idea was that some foreign agent might attempt to kill Mrs. Wilson?
What May seems to miss is the third possibility, that this was a shot across the bow designed to intimidate future dissenters. What supports this theory? From what I've read so far, the general consensus is that an outed CIA agent can't be much of an agent. Joe Wilson's wife's career will probably be irreparably slowed if not ended by her outing as a member of The Agency.

Has someone in the administration ended one woman's career to keep future dissenters quiet? This seems like the only logical explanation. I agree with May that smearing doesn't make much sense as a motive. I believe I watch more news than most of the electorate, perhaps a lot more news, and I honestly can't remember hearing word one from Joe Wilson in the last few weeks. What would have been the point of smearing someone who has already been marginalized by the news cycle? Since I don't believe Robert Novak would knowingly endanger the life of a civil servant and compromise national security, the the leak can only be interpreted as a below the radar blow felt 'round Washington.

Thus the real reason people are rabid to report this story, it seems to be the first time anything dirty can truthfully be pinned on the Bushies.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?