<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Libertarian hi-jinks 


As mentioned before, last election I was a volunteer for the Libertarian Carla Howell for Governor campaign here in Massachusetts. Howell was also the main proponent of the Yes on 1 campaign to abolish the state income tax, which got a bit of national media attention for getting 45% of the vote. This was part of a political science class assignment at Boston University in which I had to work for either a campaign or interest group. The professor, Betty Zisk, was very liberal and certainly steered the class into working for liberal groups (her list of contacts for interest groups had no conservative groups), so I decided to work for someone whom she would dislike. One thing I learn from working with the Libertarians, about whom I know little before, is that they're kind of nuts, even though I agree with them on a lot of issues.

Since then, I have received regular emails from the Howell camp. Some of them are quite amusing (again, in the Sports Guy unintentional comedy way). And since we were on the subject of those who don't fit into "left" and "right" labels and I just received two emails in the last twenty-four hours from them, I thought I'd post parts of the emails.

This first bit is on the ballot initiative in the town of Waltham to cut property taxes by $40 million, from lieutenant governor candidate Ruch Aucoin:

As Election Day draws closer, our tax cut measure is stealing the election show, freaking out bureaucrats and union parasites - while
delighting average taxpayers with the prospect of getting back $1,000
every year.

Here's one example. While going door to door yesterday, I met a city
worker who told me that in 37 days (the number of days until the
election on November 4th) he will be laid off...thanks to my tax cut!

"No on 1! No on 1!" he chanted as I leafleted his street.

So I told him he has nothing whatsoever to worry about, provided his
department head can justify his employment.

He then reiterated, this time with resignation in his voice, "Like I
said; I'll be losing my job in 37 days." (His next-door neighbors
listened to our chat with great interest.)
We get people fired! That's the Libertarian way!

The other email is on Carla Howell's decision whether to enter the presidential race or not. You might not know it, but there's a groundswell of support for her to run (really, there is!). But today she announces that she's not running:

To decide whether or not to seek the Libertarian Presidential
Nomination in 2004, I asked myself two key questions:

1. How can I best use my time, skills, and energy to dramatically
advance our libertarian cause?

2. What do I have a passion for right now?

These questions cleared the air for me.

I will not seek the Libertarian Presidential Nomination for 2004.
Nor will I accept a draft.

My greatest Libertarian strengths and passions call me to another
path for 2003 and 2004.

For 2003 and 2004, I am actively coaching, partnering with, and
mobilizing Libertarian activists for campaigns and Bold Tax Cut
Initiatives. In Massachusetts and other states.

I am seeking out and working with motivated, committed, and capable
activists to research and track government budgets - and uncover ways
to substantially cut government spending.
George Bush, you can stop worrying now.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?