<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, September 10, 2003

local politics 


So I got this campaign flyer crammed in my porch door this afternoon:
VOTERS OF QUINCY

Experience in Government DOE$ COUNT!

Re-Elect Former Mayor


FRANCIS X. MCCAULEY
Councillor at Large

Over 30 years of Public Service on behalf of the Citizens of Quincy

"The Taxpayer'$ Voice on the City Council"
What exactly is Francis trying to tell me? We're trained to be repulsed when we see a dollar sign used as an S in a political ad, it's a sign that the person depicted is guilty of corruption and greed, yet Francis does this twice on his own campaign flyer? The flip side of the flyer has Mr. McCauley's resume, which includes a lengthy stay in the bank/financial industry, so perhaps i'm supposed to learn that Francis is good with money?

This all leads to the more troubling subject, local politics. Quincy's Preliminary Election is next week, and I have absolutely no idea who to vote for. At such a local level does it even matter? I feel an obligation to vote, but I know next to nothing about any of the candidates. There's only one candidate who's name I know, Jimmy Liang, and that's because he graduated North Quincy High School just a few years ahead of me, and when I was much younger I used to play (read: get my butt kicked) Street Fighter with some of his cousins at his house, which is only a few blocks from mine.

So i'm open to suggestions for a responsible way to vote while uninformed. I think last year I voted for anyone who's address I recognized, the logic being that I could knock on the door of anyone who pissed me off.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?