<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 15, 2003

maybe it's an industry thing 


Of all the things I thought I would never need to stand up for in my life, Jayson Blair had to be right near the top of the list.

I acknowledge all of the rotten things about Blair. He lied, cheated and forged his way through the New York Times. His actions were entirely reprehensible, so much so that Blair should be disqualified from all sorts of work, up to and including acting as co-pilot for Dick Dastardly in The Wacky Races.

Fast-forward to today's Monday Morning Quarterback column in which Peter King delivers the following diatribe (emphasis added):
And now some publishing company is going to hand this bum what I hear is well over $200,000 so he can spew some more of whatever it is he'll spew; any self-respecting human being should never find out what it is he writes, because you're a fool if you buy what this charlatans is selling.

****

All readers of this column, I will ask you only one favor over the course of this season: Promise me you won't buy this liar's load of crap.
Aren't you being just a tad bit personal, Peter? Isn't your rant just that much worse because you're introducing it in space designated for football? I don't doubt that there are time and place considerations which effect our reactions to certain speech. I'd expect to hear that kind of statement on any Bill Maher show, but from Peter King in his MMQB column, that speech is just excessively vicious, and not at all in an entertaining way.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?