<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, October 13, 2003

more phone shenanigans 


Bryon Scott reports that MoveOn.org recently flooded congressional offices with phone calls urging House members to vote against the easening of FCC media ownership rules. In response to this steady stream of calls Tom DeLay's aides registered each complaint and then forwarded every call to the cellphone of MoveOn.org's director. To wit Bryon remarks "MoveOn.org, of course, complained about the tactic. It's just like a liberal organization to complain when they get as good as they give."

Bryon! You could not be more wrong! The last time I checked it was still legal in this country to petition your government. Tom DeLay's office was incredibly childish in this matter, attempting to circumvent a legal phone drive by clogging up this mans cell phone. It might suck to have to answer the phone nonstop and listen to a bunch of unwashed liberals scream about media ownership, but that's the job off a congressional staff, to register the complains of the citizens of the United States and pass this information along to their superiors. A congressional staff has no right to retaliate against the free speech rights of citizens.

Tom DeLay should be disgusted with his staff, just as i'm disgusted with you for your sympathy for these moronic right wingers.

UPDATE - maybe I ought to think before I put my foot in my mouth, or at least have an Ice Cream Sandwich. Bryon replies to my comments in good humor (quote: "First off, don't sell me short. You have no idea how wrong I am capable of being." Isn't that true of all of us?) but maintains his agreement with the actions of Tom DeLay's office staff. While I understand Bryon's distaste for MoveOn and their tactics (i'm fighting a thick headed lefty movement of my own), I still think Delay's staff acted beyond the realm of reasonable behavior. MoveOn very well may have been trying to disrupt office life, but I believe they were just phoning Tom DeLay's publicly listed phone number which is their constitutional right. If they were disrupting a private phone line (and it only makes sense that these offices must have some private lines, right?) that would be an entirely different matter.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?