<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, November 14, 2003

public education 


Derb posted the following math problem in The Corner: "This is one Nellie (5th grade) brought home from school. (Which raises my spirits a bit about the quality of education she is getting.) A, B, and C stand for different digits. Multiply AB by C, the product is BBB; what do A, B, and C stand for? I did it by eye in around 20 sec, then coaxed Nellie through it Socratic-style in 5 minutes or so, and we both felt pleased with ourselves."

I've looked at it for about a minute, and I think I have the solution. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

We know that AB x C = BBB

But doesn't AB stand for (A x B)?

So the Problem is A x B x C = B x B x B or ABC = BBB.

If A, B, and C are different digits, doesn't this problem only work if B is Zero? A and C can be whatever number they chose, because when you multiply any number by zero you always get zero.

Someone give me a gold star!
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?