<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 24, 2003

That's why he's a genius and I'm not 


I watched T3 this weekend too, but I didn't see what James Lileks sees, which was a foreshadowing of Arnold as governor:

I watched T3 over the weekend, and found it an interesting foreshadowing of Arnold’s gubernatorial bid. In the first big action sequence the Terminator finds himself plastered on the window of a firetruck, which of course symbolizes government. (It’s a publicly-owned vehicle, after all.) “I’ll drive,” he says, announcing his bid. He moves to the drivers’s side and says “Get out,” which symbolizes his victory over Gray Davis, and perhaps his inauguration as well. His next big dramatic line: “Give me your cutting tool.” If this bothers those who fear a reduced budget, his next line is meant to assert his power: “RELAX,” he shouts.

Later he gives a key to his worldview: “Anger is more useful than despair,” he says, adding “Basic psychology is one of my subroutines.” But towards the end of the movie he truly places himself in the hands of the public:

“Your gratitude is not required. I am programmed to follow your commands.”

I tell you, it’s all there, right from the beginning. The entire movie set up the campaign!
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?